Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A blogging I shall go...

It's been an interesting week or so around here. Jesse and Kat came up from Georgia and I got to know her a little bit. Honestly, I wish I had more time to get to know her before they left for Ft. Bragg cuzz I did most of the talking. Heh. Y'all know how I get with teh booze is involved. :-P Anyway, she actually reminds me a lot of myself, which is somewhat funny. Never thought Jesse would go for someone like ME but hey, I AM awesome, so I really shouldn't be surprised.

A few days before the wedding, my step-dad decided it would be a good idea to get an illness that mainly affects children and damn near die. He had been at the cardiologist setting up an appt for surgery and when he left, I guess he started to have trouble breathing and swallowing. See, he got a sore throat the day before but didn't think much of it cuzz, really? He's an adult and adults get sore throats all the time and are fine. He called my mom and told her what was going on and wouldn't let her call an ambulance for him. He drove himself to the hospital. o_O Seems being stubborn means you can drive when you really shouldn't be. (Yeah, ok, so I would probably have opted to drive myself, too, if I were already on the road, like he was.) Long story short, he ended up on a vent and was told if he had gotten there 5 minutes later, he probably wouldn't have been able to be intibated. He was diagnosed with Epiglottitis, which is a swelling of that little flap at the back of your throat that keeps food from going into your windpipe when you swallow. Now, normally, this is found in kids about 2-7 years old. According to the nurses, he was the 4th adult they'd had on the floor with that condition. (Interesting little factoid for people that went to high school with me... One of his nurses during his stay? Angie Shifflet! No shit dudes! I knew she worked at Genesys cuzz I talked to her to set up an ambulance transport once, but I didn't realize that she was a nurse. And she's married, but not to Chris.) Anyway, he was on the vent for a few days and it was pretty scary to see him that way. He was VERY grey in color and he couldn't talk (obviously) and when he had to cough? You couldn't hear ANYTHING, but you could see the look of pain just wash over his face. It fucking sucked to watch.

Thankfully, he was taken off the vent Saturday night, but not released, so the wedding was in the atrium at Genesys. Great grandma Smith was there and they were both in wheelchairs. They whole time I was trying not to giggle cuzz I had Dueling Banjos stuck in my head and could only think that they were having Dueling Wheelchairs. Trust me, it was funny.

So, Jesse got hitched and I now have a sister-in-law. It's weird cuzz it's Jesse whose married this time and that just makes me feel old as fuck. If they pop out a kid, I think I might just have to get one of those little scooters that the Hooveround people can help me get paid for by Medicare. o_O

Congratulations guys! I'll get the rest of the pictures up sometime this weekend. I think. o_O


Cricket said...

Wow, I didn't realize. The enlistment has brought him some good fortune. Remember what a nut roll that was? Seems like yesterday.

It is wonderful they could accommodate your step-dad with a change in venue. Where would it have been?

I hope you get lots of chances to get to know her better. Are they headed to stay at Bragg?

Girl, you need to blog more so I don't have so damn many questions.

Aunt Becky said...

I'm with Cricket. You must blog more.